1988 XR4ti Family Project (Problem building boost 6/29)

Documenting your big project with photos/videos? Have photos/videos to share of anything Merkur related? Place your links to photos and videos here. Please - Merkurs and Merkur-related pictures only. Cosworths welcome!!
Carlisle and event related pictures are to be placed in the relevant section under 'Events'.
Merkur Club web site
xr super n00b
Level 4
Level 4

Post by xr super n00b »

well seeing as how i spent a few hours at your house, i guess ill subscribe to this thread :wink:
aaul00
Level 2
Level 2

Post by aaul00 »

Just a few days before Carlisle and the final details have finally been taken care of. Everything is together and it all works (except for the AC... eh, not my top priority). I've been driving it for the last week or so and it's been worth the wait. I'm fairly certain that this car is even better than I could have imagined... it's an odd scenario, but after owning it for over a year, this is the first time I've ever driven it. Everything has been buffed, glazed, and waxed in preparation for the big show.

Long story short: It's set for Friday. :headbang

So anyways, it's been getting quite a bit more attention than I anticipated. Everyone seems drawn to the car for one reason or another. Seems that just about all of my friends/coworkers/family members want a ride in the Merkur... and who am I to turn them down? :lol: ... so yeah, a friend took the time today to get some proper photographs of the car, so I figured that I would post a few up on here. Let me know what you think and I'll see a bunch of you guys on Friday!

...and I had to go and edit one a bit for wallpaper purposes...

-Andrew Aul
SvoSierra
Level 5
Level 5

Post by SvoSierra »

That is N-I-C-E! Can hardly wait to see it.
XR and Scorpio blower motor rebuilding, LED upgrades, XR lock service
xr super n00b
Level 4
Level 4

Post by xr super n00b »

i might just have to come back out there and take a ride. im gonna be getting a job soon, so ill be buying another one in better condition than mine and most likely end up using the one i have now for parts. or for a vehicle to drive while im working on the nicer one.

good work on yours though. one year was worth the wait, i wouldnt be able to do it. :D
aaul00
Level 2
Level 2

Post by aaul00 »

i wouldnt be able to do it. :D
Yeah... me neither. :wink: Total team effort here. There's absolutely no way this would have come together so nicely and completely if not for all the help I had. I think you got to see that first-hand.
-Andrew Aul
nathankershaw
Level 5
Level 5

wow

Post by nathankershaw »

Wow! It looks brand new!!!!!
Well done!
1987 Merkur XR4Ti. T5 swapped. GAZ gold coilovers. Custom rear strut brace. Polybushed everything. Mustang ten hole wheels. Mercury Tracer front bumper.
xr super n00b
Level 4
Level 4

Post by xr super n00b »

aaul00 wrote:
i wouldnt be able to do it. :D
Yeah... me neither. :wink: Total team effort here. There's absolutely no way this would have come together so nicely and completely if not for all the help I had. I think you got to see that first-hand.
hah. it seems like just last week i was there......when it had no wing, taillights, half an exhaust. if i would have lived any closer, it would have been like watching a cousin grow up haha
aaul00
Level 2
Level 2

Post by aaul00 »

Well... my beloved car is pretty much thrashed.

I was driving up I79 towards Erie last night and I slammed a deer at 70-75mph... I don't even know what to think. I'm okay, but the car certainly isn't. I'll throw up some pictures very soon.

I feel like I've lost the most significant object in my life. All of the time, effort, and love that was put into this car for and by me... I don't know.

The car is insured, and it certainly won't be the last XR I own. Either this one will be fixed or I'll be in the market for another.

-Andrew
-Andrew Aul
Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Post by Ed Lijewski »

My heart bleeds....truly, it does. Your ride was gorgeous.

YMMV 8)
Descartes: "Cogito Ergo Sum"
Lijewski: "Sum Ergo Drive-O. Mucho!
aaul00
Level 2
Level 2

Post by aaul00 »

Thank you... well, here's an update already.

My uncle has viewed the car and we have all come to the decision that it WILL be repaired. Insurance is likely going to total it, but the car is going back together.

Here is video of the damage sustained. Youtube is still processing the video, but I expect it to be functioning shortly. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cy33HylmQxk

-Andrew
-Andrew Aul
Xr4ti@Norway

Post by Xr4ti@Norway »

DAMN !!! thats a very nice TI you got there :shock: :wink: , got black 88 my self butI got a loooong way to get where you are now.
88 Merkur Xr4ti
97 Ford Scorpio 2.9 Cosworth
85 Ford Sierra XR4x4 2.8i
89 Ford Sierra Ohc Turbo
86 Ford Sierra Ohc Turbo
89 Ford Sierra Dohc
aaul00
Level 2
Level 2

Post by aaul00 »

DAMN !!! thats a very nice TI you got there Shocked Wink , got black 88 my self butI got a loooong way to get where you are now.
At the risk of sounding bitter, I must say that the quickest way to get to where I am now is to total your car... heck, only took me but a second. Easy peasy. :cry:
-Andrew Aul
Xr4ti@Norway

Post by Xr4ti@Norway »

hehe I know :P and I'm gonna do that, but my TI got a lot of rust so it will take some time,
I think about 2 years for total restoration.
88 Merkur Xr4ti
97 Ford Scorpio 2.9 Cosworth
85 Ford Sierra XR4x4 2.8i
89 Ford Sierra Ohc Turbo
86 Ford Sierra Ohc Turbo
89 Ford Sierra Dohc
aaul00
Level 2
Level 2

Post by aaul00 »

Sorry for any confusion... by "total" I mean "destroy." I don't know if maybe you missed it, but this is my car now. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cy33HylmQxk ... so in that sense, you don't want to total your car. A total restoration sounds much nicer, though. I'm sure it'll turn out great.
-Andrew Aul
carriedhome
Level 1
Level 1

Post by carriedhome »

Keep us posted on its resurrection.

Glad you weren't hurt.
-Matt

89 MonoBlack 5spd
96 Eclipse GSX