rack rebuilding or replacing?

Merkur Scorpio / XR4Ti Technical Library - Check here for answers to common questions, problems and modifications.

Moderator: John Brennan

Merkur Club web site
James Wieler
Level 4
Level 4

rack rebuilding or replacing?

Post by James Wieler »

Searching shows a discussion about rebuilding XR racks ourselves, but I see no conclusion posts. So is this what people are doing these days?
I noticed Rockauto carries a kit for the ZF (waffle) rack for $30, anybody tried it?
also pskits.com list kits for either ZF or TRW ($48 vs. $25)
Any advice here?
Mine is the ZF (waffle) rack and is leaking on both sides, no loose steering or tie rod issues.
thanks
James
Cossy sway bar, Powerflex, Dynalites, Focus SVT rotors,Koni yellow sleeve over 8"x300lb/in springs,Scorch bumper cover, 17x7.5x40mm Binno wheels, 225/45-17 Kumho 712 tires
Dirt Devil
Level 1
Level 1

Re: rack rebuilding or replacing?

Post by Dirt Devil »

Having recently messed around with mine, I tried doing the 'depowering' mod described in one of the threads (can find it by searching here) and ran into an issue. The thread describes the procedure for a trw rack, not a zf. While the process was similar, there was definitely some major differences. I ended up not being able to even remove my rack from the sleeve. I will definetly be doing more research before I try and tackle a rebuild or depower again. Hopefully someone here will be able to provide a better step by step with pictures for the zf rack. Conceptually it is not difficult though. I ended up finding a rebuilt rack that I will be swapping in instead. Good luck though if you do decide to rebuild and hopefully you'll remember to take pictures of the process unlike me :(
nathankershaw
Level 5
Level 5

Post by nathankershaw »

I used a PSKIT last time and am about to again.

Fairly simple, it was the more expensive one.

I had a very slight leak where the steering shaft goes in after but nothing to worry about, I did one inner track rod arm as well.

All good. Just take your time.
It worked well for me.
1987 Merkur XR4Ti. T5 swapped. GAZ gold coilovers. Custom rear strut brace. Polybushed everything. Mustang ten hole wheels. Mercury Tracer front bumper.
SvoSierra
Level 5
Level 5

Post by SvoSierra »

I've done 4 pskits.com ZF kits with great results. Just be super clean! :headbang
While you are at it, redo the pump as well. $12 kit from any auto store.
XR and Scorpio blower motor rebuilding, LED upgrades, XR lock service
Rob M

Post by Rob M »

I am going to try and rebuild my ZF rack I ordered the PSKIT we shall see how it goes. I did fid some information that might help. http://forum.bmwland.ru/index.php?act=a ... t&id=26966
Rob
88 XR4Ti Stock, Daily Driver
88 XR4Ti Lightly Modified.
James Wieler
Level 4
Level 4

Post by James Wieler »

cool, post any tricks or tips that you figure out, I'll try and take a few pics while I'm doing mine. My kit should arrive sometime this week.
cheers
James
Cossy sway bar, Powerflex, Dynalites, Focus SVT rotors,Koni yellow sleeve over 8"x300lb/in springs,Scorch bumper cover, 17x7.5x40mm Binno wheels, 225/45-17 Kumho 712 tires
James Wieler
Level 4
Level 4

Post by James Wieler »

got the kit from skits.com today, the receipt says SK-8449 but the packages reads SK-9120 1983-92 Volvo 940/960 or Scorpio with ZF rack 1988-1990 so I guess it's the right one.
Does anyone know if the Volvo rack is compatible with our cars? Might be easier to get.
Here's a few pics of what I got

hope those links work
JAmes
CV12Steve
Level 7
Level 7

Post by CV12Steve »

Probably just the seals are the same.
Stephen
nathankershaw
Level 5
Level 5

Post by nathankershaw »

Yeah I think Scorpio & XR ZF racks are the same.
1987 Merkur XR4Ti. T5 swapped. GAZ gold coilovers. Custom rear strut brace. Polybushed everything. Mustang ten hole wheels. Mercury Tracer front bumper.
Rob M

Post by Rob M »

Yep that is the same kit I received the receipt also in hand writing sk-8449 I'm guessing we will soon find out
Rob
88 XR4Ti Stock, Daily Driver
88 XR4Ti Lightly Modified.
James Wieler
Level 4
Level 4

Post by James Wieler »

Anybody know if there are any bearings that need to be replaced? If so what size are they?
SvoSierra
Level 5
Level 5

Post by SvoSierra »

Bearings should be fine unless you know you sandblasted them or something horrible. I've never replaced mine. Just clean up and re-pack. Smooth as silk, or rayon perhaps......
XR and Scorpio blower motor rebuilding, LED upgrades, XR lock service
jkxr4ti
Level 7
Level 7

Post by jkxr4ti »

I need to do this sometime as well, I have a slight hard spot on center. I think it might be that shuttle valve but I want to rebuild the seals while i'm at it.
Jeremy Kemp

RIP: the Mutt….1988 XR4Ti Chestnut Brown/Spice Leather
MC2 Coilovers and Bushings, Contour Rims and Rotors, Ported Motorsport Head, Cosworth 4x4 Intercooler, Holset HY35 Turbo, 80LB Injectors, Megasquirt2 EFI
DAReese
Level 7
Level 7

Post by DAReese »

jkxr4ti wrote:I need to do this sometime as well, I have a slight hard spot on center. I think it might be that shuttle valve but I want to rebuild the seals while i'm at it.
IT is on my list as well. I have a notchiness when moving the wheel, so I imagine the rack is in need of repair or restoration.
David Reese

88 XR4Ti - mono white T5, someday to be bi wing
89 Scorpio - waiting on some parts before it hits the road again
88 XR4Ti - mono red C3, parts car
used to own 86 dark blue traded in on a min van, what was I thinking?
James Wieler
Level 4
Level 4

Post by James Wieler »

what cures the notchiness? Are these parts available? I assume it's just a bearing issue?