We're No.4!

Scorpio / Scorpio Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Merkur Club web site
Ed Lijewski
Level 8

We're No.4!

Post by Ed Lijewski »

Descartes: "Cogito Ergo Sum"
Lijewski: "Sum Ergo Drive-O. Mucho!
andyofcolumbusmerkur
Level 7
Level 7

Re: We're No.4!

Post by andyofcolumbusmerkur »

Man that unloved Mondial is sweet, I would love to have that car. Sure the other Ferrari's go for more money, but still it's a freaking Ferrari man. Just join a Ferrari club for help fixing it yourself. You know what they say, if you can't afford a new one you can't afford a used one. Plus you could always part it out and use the braking system parts on a Merkur. Win Win.
The best way to keep your Kia from being stolen is to not have a Kia.
brokencase
Level 7
Level 7

Post by brokencase »

To heck with that guy. Who made him the expert?

The Scorpio has many other endearing aspects that this guy has no clue. Large hatchback Great seats. Stability at Autobahn speeds.
Of course it has great styling as well.

I really hate the horsepower demeaning, It's not all about horsepower. It's about the area under the torque curve that matters.

From Car & Driver's Review of the Scorpio (Engine discussion side bar)

"..All of this effort pays off with 144bhp at 5500 rpm and 162 pound feet of torque at 3000 rpm.
Moreover, at least 90 percent of the peak torque is available from 1800 to 5200 rpm.

The Scorpio's power output was comparable to it's other competitors of the day. If you want a bit more put a free flowing CAT and CAT back exhaust on as I have.

Marketing failures and scarcity often lead to collectability. Edsel, Tucker, DeLorean and for Merkur.
Specialization is for Insects
eaton53
Level 6
Level 6

Post by eaton53 »

This goof's list should be renamed "Cars That I Like".
Mark Copeland - I'm 50 miles west of Kewanee, IL

'89 XR4Ti
Car was the 2014 MCA Merkur Preservation Award Winner
'89 Scorpio
This one has a very bright and shiny future.
Proud member of the Iowa-Illinois Merkur Owner's Association since 2015. :cheers
brokencase
Level 7
Level 7

Post by brokencase »

eaton53 wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 12:41 pm This goof's list should be renamed "Cars That I Like".
I wouldn't go that far. He correctly identifies 1980 Pontiac Phoenix, 1982 Cadillac Cimarron for what they are, but there are a bunch of GM product of the same category for which no one would consider collecting, despite this guy's advise.

But Fierro?, DeLorean? Ferrari Mondial? This guy is out of his mind.

I must admit that Ferrari had fire issues back in the day, I actually observed a 308 go up in flames at a gas station in North East Philadelphia while going to pick up my brother at the airport. It was a spectacular show.

I was across the intersection waiting on a long red light with a guy in front of me. But my eyes naturally gravitated towards the guy filling up the Ferrari. It looked like the gas spewed out when the tank hit full and must have splashed onto the hot exhaust. So some flames erupt. The guy panics and leaves the fill nozzle in the Ferrari, and goes running to the attendant. You could almost read the lips "Have you got a fire extinguisher?"
Attendant shakes his head and is wondering..why? ...and then the slow realization hits him.

Now things are really taking off over at the pump. The guy in front of me at the red light feels that the whole intersection if going to blow and does an immediate right turn on red with screeching tires. So I move up for a better view of things. The attendant goes inside and calls the fire department. The light changes and I slowly proceed to drive by the flaming Ferrari. At this point its 3/4 engulfed into flames and these flames are licking up at overhead awning over the pumps.

Low and behold the fire department was just a few blocks away in the direction I was headed. So I got to see them hop into the trucks and take off.
But I knew despite their fast response it was too late for the Ferrari.

So I went and picked up my brother at the airport. My brother couldn't believe the story. When we came back the Ferrari was on a flatbed. Totally fried. What was red was now totally black. Tires were melted away. Pumps were toast and the overhead awning was toast.

If I had a caught all of this on video and posted it on youtube I would have had a million hits.

In any case, a Ferrari aficionado is aware of these issues (I think Ferrari had recalls and fixes for these cases). So they are going to be careful.
A Mondial is still collectable.
Specialization is for Insects
eaton53
Level 6
Level 6

Post by eaton53 »

I'd totally have a Cimarron... later is greater.
There was one for sale in Michigan not long ago... Grandma's car.
White with a red simcon (simulated convertible) top AND a continental kit! Awesome.
If you're going neo-classical Cimarron, I say go all the way! This one did that.

And I'd have an Imperial.
Mark Copeland - I'm 50 miles west of Kewanee, IL

'89 XR4Ti
Car was the 2014 MCA Merkur Preservation Award Winner
'89 Scorpio
This one has a very bright and shiny future.
Proud member of the Iowa-Illinois Merkur Owner's Association since 2015. :cheers