Making the Cologne 2.9 Distributor-less using 4L OHV parts - TFI to EDIS Conversion

Scorpio / Scorpio Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Merkur Club web site
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Re: Making the Cologne 2.9 Distributor-less using 4L OHV parts

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

brokencase wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 9:11 pm I think you are free to locate the sensor where you wish. So long as you index the tooth ring in the proper position when you mount it to the crank.
In fact I think I would like a toothed ring mounting solution that would allow me to adjust the initial timing much like rotating the distributor.
Chuck's sensor mount does have some play so that you can adjust the timing +/- a few degrees in either direction. I'm assuming that's what you mean, as adjusting the toothed ring itself would be quite a challenge. In fact, a lot of recommendations suggest spot-welding the ring in place for good measure, even if it's interference-fitted as this one is.
Brad
brokencase
Level 7
Level 7

Post by brokencase »

I was thinking maybe you could do three or four set screws around the perimeter of the toothed gear.
Specialization is for Insects
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

Confirmed that the 4L EEC-IV oil-drive plug fits fine as-is in the 2.9. Both the "dummy" version as well as the cam sensor version fit. The EEC-V version is a little bigger and interferes with the lower intake manifold. That can probably be remedied, but I won't need to bother (don't need cam position input) since either of these will work...
Cologne40-OilDrive-3.jpg
Cologne40-OilDrive-3.jpg (461.05 KiB) Viewed 19239 times
Cologne40-OilDrive-2.jpg
Cologne40-OilDrive-2.jpg (407.08 KiB) Viewed 19239 times
Cologne40-OilDrive-1.jpg
Cologne40-OilDrive-1.jpg (672.88 KiB) Viewed 19239 times
Brad
brokencase
Level 7
Level 7

Post by brokencase »

Brad - You must have a nice junkyard nearby where you can gather an explore all the possibilities.
I have to drive 40 minutes to get to one. I haven't been there in a while and I'm not sure how nice it is now.

I used to have one that was close by and they had "all you can haul away" Saturdays. Sure miss those days.
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

brokencase wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 11:22 am Brad - You must have a nice junkyard nearby where you can gather an explore all the possibilities.
I have to drive 40 minutes to get to one.
I WISH the junkyard was only 40 minutes away! The good ones I go to are in PA and 2 hours away, so I make a day of it.

I believe I now have everything I need to do the swap, many items in duplicate. I'll take a pic and provide a listing at some point. I'm not certain about the year range, but the EDIS6 module junkyard donors include:

1990-94 Ranger 4L
1990-94 Aerostar 4L
1994-95 Mustang 3.8L
1995 Windstar 3.8L
Brad
brokencase
Level 7
Level 7

Post by brokencase »

Does that mean if I go to the Pick-a-Part Home of Junkyard Barbie that I won't find any Cologne v-6 stuff because Brad took everything already?
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

brokencase wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 6:27 pm Does that mean if I go to the Pick-a-Part Home of Junkyard Barbie that I won't find any Cologne v-6 stuff because Brad took everything already?
No, never been to that one. But if you go to EZ Pull you will not find an EDIS6 module.
Brad
brokencase
Level 7
Level 7

Post by brokencase »

DPDISXR4Ti wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 7:57 pm
brokencase wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 6:27 pm Does that mean if I go to the Pick-a-Part Home of Junkyard Barbie that I won't find any Cologne v-6 stuff because Brad took everything already?
No, never been to that one. But if you got to EZ Pull you will not find an EDIS6 module.
Uh-Oh - Played my hand. Got to get to "Pick-a-Part Home of Junkyard Barbie" before Brad does!
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

brokencase wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 3:09 pm Uh-Oh - Played my hand. Got to get to "Pick-a-Part Home of Junkyard Barbie" before Brad does!
Nah, too small of a yard. Plus, too densely populated down that way and thus too much potential for traffic. In addition to parts, I came home with two dozen farm-fresh eggs the other day. :D
Brad
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

Just a little (but important) data-point... 1990-94 Ranger 4L uses 18.3 PPH injectors
https://www.injectorplanet.com/products ... rd-92tf-aa

Since I've got my harness rebuilt for EV6 injectors, I've sourced 18.1PPH injectors from a 2003 Expedition.
Brad
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

I'll try to come back and add a picture to this thread, but here's the pieces I've acquired:

65mm Mustang TB and custom adapter to Scorpio intake plenum (Optional - could probably do this swap with the factory TB)
Oil drive "dummy" plug (replaces distributor)
Original type crank V-pulley with 36-1 trigger wheel installed with missing tooth set at 0 degrees
EDIS Crank pick-up & pig-tail (2000-04 Focus w/ SPI engine)
Custom crank pick-up bracket that locates pick-up point 60 degrees BTDC
EDIS6 Module & harness pig-tail
MAF sensor & harness pig-tail from '92 Ranger
EEC-IV PCM X2T2 & harness from 4L '92 Ranger (Also have one from a '91 MT Explorer)
6-cyl Coil-pack w/ bracket and pig-tail
Ignition leads for above
18 pph EV6 fuel injectors (harness already modified for the EV6 injectors I'm currently running)

In case something unexpected comes up, I'm going to take extra steps to make this as cleanly reversible as possible.
Brad
brokencase
Level 7
Level 7

Post by brokencase »

It's a big project but it should be interesting.
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

brokencase wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 1:23 pm It's a big project but it should be interesting.
I'm taking my time and re-reviewing my plan of attack. Keeping it simple, here's what EDIS looks like. This is a for an 8-cyl setup with 2 coil-packs, but it's pretty much the same for a 6-cyl; just some different pin-outs from the EDIS module.
EDIS_system_diagram.jpg
EDIS_system_diagram.jpg (71.43 KiB) Viewed 18913 times
Some random bits excerpted from reading about others who have gone from TFI to EDIS...

...the resistor wire/plugs are a must for the EDIS module.
The EDIS modules have diagnostics built in and also misfire detection. All EDIS 4, 6 and 8 modules I have tested on the bench set up I have will spark erratically for a few seconds and then shut down even if just one spark circuit is less than 5 kOhms.
Switching off and then on again brings it back to life, but the supply voltage must drop below some 6 volts for the module to restart ( Have tried with a lab supply with variable voltage)
So no matter what you use with EDIS, you have to use resistor wires and plugs to make EDIS perform.

EDIS is pretty simple. The usual power and ground. Power should be switched by the ignition. May be best to do this via a relay and a new feed from the battery, as EDIS takes more current than a single coil system. Use screened cable for both PIP and SAW.
Note, studying the 1990 Ranger schematic, the EDIS module gets 12+ from the EEC Power Relay whereas the TFI module gets it via the Start Relay on the Scorpio. I'll figure to just leave it as is on the Scorpio and splice the EDIS module in where the TFI was (electrically).
Brad
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Re: Making the Cologne 2.9 Distributor-less using 4L OHV parts - TFI to EDIS Conversion

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

One post where I'll dump a bunch of reference links relating to EDIS and TFI to EDIS conversions...

https://www.megamanual.com/ms2/EDIS.htm

http://efidynotuning.com/ignition.htm

http://tmoss.efidynotuning.com/
Brad
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Re: Making the Cologne 2.9 Distributor-less using 4L OHV parts - TFI to EDIS Conversion

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

A very specific post relating to what happens with the 6 circuits snipped from the existing TFI connector.

Pin 1 TFI PIP (Blue/Y) to Pin 9 EDIS PIP (EEC4 pin 56)
Pin 2 TFI SPOUT (Blue/R) to Pin 3 EDIS SAW (EEC4 pin 36)
Pin 3 TFI Ign Start (Black/Gn) (cap off - not used by EDIS)
Pin 4 TFI Run (Black) to Pin 8 EDIS Start & Run (EEC4 pins 37 & 57)
Pin 5 TFI IDM/Tach (Green) to Pin 2 EDIS IDM (EEC4 pin 4) <note, cut out in-line resistor in harness, if so equipped>
Pin 6 TFI Ign Gnd (Blue/Bk) to Pin 7 EDIS Gnd (EEC pin 16)

Ideally I'd make a quick connector from a hacked up TFI module so that I don't actually have to clip off the connector. But often the wires near the quick-connector are in lousy shape and it might be better off clipping them back upstream somewhat. Still TBD.
Brad