Making the Cologne 2.9 Distributor-less using 4L OHV parts - TFI to EDIS Conversion

Scorpio / Scorpio Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Merkur Club web site
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Making the Cologne 2.9 Distributor-less using 4L OHV parts - TFI to EDIS Conversion

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

A "no spark" condition in the field is annoying and frustrating. Our cars are 35 years old - failures are only more bound to happen, especially if you're still running original ignition components. In the Lima 2.3 world it's easy to upgrade to a distributor-less setup using DIS components from early 90's 2.3 Mustangs and Rangers. DIS "looks" the same as TFI/PIP electrically, so it's rather straight-forward.

With the Cologne V6, Ford went from TFI/PIP on the 2.9 right to EDIS on the 4L, skipping DIS. EDIS works differently than DIS; without going into a lot of details, the practical way to upgrade to EDIS would be to use the EEC-IV PCM from the '90 - '94 Ranger or Explorer. They run MAF, so that adds something else to bring along from the 4L donor. In some ways, that's good news as any breathing differences between the 2.9 and 4L could be accounted for by the MAF; something not so readily done with the speed density setup of the 2.9. Any timing map difference between the 2.9 and 4L should be so minimal as to not be a factor.

Having just dismantled a 4L Cologne engine, I have everything to do the swap, save for time. Here's a look at some of the parts. Note, the 4L front cover wouldn't be used since it's taller - I just threw that in the pic for reference. Conveniently, the 2.9 already has the mounts for the crank pick-up just like the 4L.
Cologne4L-EDIS.jpg
Cologne4L-EDIS.jpg (453.81 KiB) Viewed 21602 times
Brad
Bob Weir
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Making the Cologne 2.9 Distributor-less using 4L OHV parts

Post by Bob Weir »

Interesting "upgrade / improvement". I'm curious about your progress to completion.

I've been wondering why I still had a 13 mm swivel socket in top tray of my tool box. You have refreshed my foggy memory.
I remember Colette telling me to buy the tool that would make tightening the dizzy faster and easier. I'll park it alongside the TFI tool in the "I'm gonna need one of these someday" section.
Attachments
13 mm swivel socket & TFI tool.jpg
13 mm swivel socket & TFI tool.jpg (23.32 KiB) Viewed 21525 times
brokencase
Level 7
Level 7

Post by brokencase »

I wonder if you could do it without changing to the '90 - '94 Ranger or Explorer EECIV.

Maybe something like the Mega-Jolt?

The Mega-Jolt is a self contained aftermarket Ignition module that has it's own MAP. It has a crank sensor input and I believe it can fire a coil pak.

Various downloadable advance curves are available.

I have one here in front of me. It was my late brother's plan to convert the Triumph GT6 to distributorless ignition. I don't plan to do this in the short term. Maybe later after I get the car on the road.

As far as I know, The 2.9L EECIV is only commanding the the stock ignition module to fire. But if the module was not there it would not be aware.

Question Brad... How easy would the toothed crank sensor adapt to the 2.9L? Does it cause any interference issue on the front of the engine?
Like getting in the way of all the belts and pulleys?
Specialization is for Insects
brokencase
Level 7
Level 7

Post by brokencase »

DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

brokencase wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 5:13 pm I wonder if you could do it without changing to the '90 - '94 Ranger or Explorer EECIV

Question Brad... How easy would the toothed crank sensor adapt to the 2.9L? Does it cause any interference issue on the front of the engine?
Like getting in the way of all the belts and pulleys?
The factory toothed crank pulley is MicroV rather than the V that we have. But it might be possible to sandwich just a toothed wheel in there if you wanted to remain V belt.

I think mounting the crank pickup to the 2.9 front cover would be relatively easy. The two mounting holes are already there - just need to get the spacing right.

Interesting idea on using MegaJolt as it does use EDIS.
Brad
brokencase
Level 7
Level 7

Post by brokencase »

The only problem is that it is an expensive item. The one I have here was an earlier version and I think it originally sold for around $100.
brokencase
Level 7
Level 7

Post by brokencase »

There is a website out there that sells various toothed pulleys for conversions like this.
I can't remember the name of the site.

Anyhow here is a better link regarding the Mega Jolt. If you scroll down you can see the earlier 2.X version that I have.
https://wiki.autosportlabs.com/MegaJolt ... _Downloads

They have a nice page devoted to the Ford EDIS system
https://wiki.autosportlabs.com/Ford_EDI ... nformation

Triggerwheels...
https://wiki.autosportlabs.com/Trigger_Wheel_Designs
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

brokencase wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 1:29 pm There is a website out there that sells various toothed pulleys for conversions like this.
I can't remember the name of the site.

Anyhow here is a better link regarding the Mega Jolt. If you scroll down you can see the earlier 2.X version that I have.
https://wiki.autosportlabs.com/MegaJolt ... _Downloads

They have a nice page devoted to the Ford EDIS system
https://wiki.autosportlabs.com/Ford_EDI ... nformation

Triggerwheels...
https://wiki.autosportlabs.com/Trigger_Wheel_Designs
Good info. Here's a link to a forum thread showing some pics with two different fitments of a 36-1 trigger wheel. Not a Cologne 2.9, but it shows how you could mount the wheels behind or in front of the crank pulley...
https://forums.hybridz.org/topic/52056- ... /#comments

I've sent a message to these guys asking if they sell just a trigger wheel for the Cologne 2.9...
https://www.trigger-wheels.com/store/co ... /p142.html

And here's three pics of my spare 2.9 crank pulley. It would seem the pulley is already machined for a 126mm trigger wheel to be pressed on to the back side. I wonder if one from a 90's 3L Vulcan engine (Taurus, Temp, Ranger) might fit right on? Or better yet, what about the 2.9 Cosworth? Or did that go to Micro-V belts?
Cologne29-Crank-1.jpg
Cologne29-Crank-1.jpg (164.17 KiB) Viewed 21198 times
Cologne29-Crank-2.jpg
Cologne29-Crank-2.jpg (299.55 KiB) Viewed 21198 times
Cologne29-Crank-3.jpg
Cologne29-Crank-3.jpg (232.16 KiB) Viewed 21198 times
Brad
brokencase
Level 7
Level 7

Post by brokencase »

I suppose one could always machine a 4.0L toothed pulley to fit on the Scorpio stock crank pulley....assuming it is large enough.

www.trigger-wheels.com was the website I was thinking of previously.
brokencase
Level 7
Level 7

Post by brokencase »

Maybe not. It looks like the 4.0L tooth gear is too small for that.

But you know what? I would just take a 3/16" plate and turn it to the appropriate diameters and then cut the teeth on the lathe by mounting a drill with a milling bit on the cross-slide. I believe my Atlas has 36 holes to index the chuck.
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

Or buy this and bore it out a teensy bit from 125mm to 126....

https://www.ebay.com/itm/184348736976?m ... name=11404

Brad
brokencase
Level 7
Level 7

Post by brokencase »

"May not ship to the United States..."

As always, the best laid plans of mice and men...
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

DPDISXR4Ti wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 8:30 pm Or buy this and bore it out a teensy bit from 125mm to 126....
Or much easier, do like this and chuck up the pulley to turn it down to 125mm...
https://youtu.be/lQ_hxdPUTsY?si=87hmAjmbtl8TmS4G
Brad
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

This guy has done it as I was thinking...

Roni Tikka
Top contributor
2.8 EFi here with 36-1 trigger. Can be done. V-pulleys modded by attaching trigger and welded sensor bracked, used timing bolt holes for that bracket.
Brad
Chuck W
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Chuck W »

I'm trying to remember where I got the trigger wheel I mounted on the pulley for when I was messing with this in my old Scorpio. I'll try and dig up my notes. It was a OE part of some sort

"Strange women, lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power is derived from a mandate from the masses, not from some farsical aquatic ceremony."