RockAuto Scorpio Closeouts Direct Link

Scorpio / Scorpio Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Merkur Club web site
Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Re: RockAuto Scorpio Closeouts Direct Link

Post by Ed Lijewski »

brokencase wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 10:27 am If those then why not these?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/234424466829
Strange...That's the link I intended to copy and paste. I should have checked it before Submitting as I had several links on my Clipboard.

[/quote]Do you feel that you need new injectors?
[/quote]

Don't think so. The '89 probably hadn't received any injector cleaner over the many years of original owner's driving. I base that on tail pipe sounds at idle. I've added injector cleaner (SuperTech Concentrated) at every fill up since I've owned it. Exhaust now burbles (kinda spit/coughed a bit before), and performance also picked up to.where I doubt it needs any further mprovement. So I'm good.

The price of those blue ones is so much less than a quality injector cleaning and testing with two-way postage service it's appealing just to add a set to my stash.
Last edited by Ed Lijewski on Thu Sep 14, 2023 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Descartes: "Cogito Ergo Sum"
Lijewski: "Sum Ergo Drive-O. Mucho!
brokencase
Level 7
Level 7

Post by brokencase »

I think I am more worried about the O-rings failing then the injectors themselves.

I'll bet the only issue you will find with the stock injectors is a sooty build up on the injector face and you can clean that up yourself.

There is the claim that the later 4 hole injectors atomize better. But the Scorpio's injector shoots against the valve port, sometime even against a closed valve, so the stream gets atomized pretty good anyhow.
Specialization is for Insects
Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Post by Ed Lijewski »

brokencase wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 1:47 pm I think I am more worried about the O-rings failing then the injectors themselves.
I'd bet an external leak from an injector itself would be more probable than an O-ring issue. There have been several reports of XR injectors leaking (higher underhood temps) while I've not heard of that occurring on Scorpios.

I'll bet the only issue you will find with the stock injectors is a sooty build up on the injector face and you can clean that up yourself.
^^ That discounts failure to either consistently without fail use only gasoline from Top Tier retailers, and/or frequently add quality fuel injector cleaner to fill-up to address typical crud build-up in fuel systems.

https://www.toptiergas.com/

YMMV
Descartes: "Cogito Ergo Sum"
Lijewski: "Sum Ergo Drive-O. Mucho!
brokencase
Level 7
Level 7

Post by brokencase »

Yeah, I here ya, but it is a pintle valve. The orifice itself is pretty much self clearing. A pin matched to a hole. Probably the real advantage to a "single hole injector"

Those 4 hole injectors are probably more prone to clogging.

It's the deposits on the external face that screw up the spray pattern over time. There was a guy on this board that rebuilt a tired old 2.9L and put it into an XR4ti. I asked him what did the injectors look like and he said they were fine.

Injectors are way down on the bottom of my list of things to be worried about. I ran a bottle or two of Techron when I first acquired the car. Only because it was an unknown.

Even this is probably more than I should have thrown at this non-issue. I don't think spares will ever become "unobtainium" in my time.

I'd have to run into a situation where, without a doubt, a failed injector is determined culprit before I go and change them.
brokencase
Level 7
Level 7

Post by brokencase »

Couple good deals popped up on RockAuto Scorpio Clearance section.
https://www.rockauto.com/closeouts/?car ... seoutEmail

Power steering pump $22.79
K&N PS2004 Pro-Series Oil Filter $2.49
brokencase
Level 7
Level 7

Post by brokencase »

I notice a couple more goodies on RockAuto Scorpio closeouts!

Rear hatch lift support $7.55 <-that is a good deal! I spent a bit more to change mine last year.

Rear left halfshaft for $31.79

Oil pressure sender $1.82 <-that is a good deal! Mine failed and I spent $15 to replace.

Of course the $2.36 K&N Oil filters are still there as are the under $17 water pumps.