Battery group size

Scorpio / Scorpio Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Merkur Club web site
brokencase
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Battery group size

Post by brokencase »

Ed, Do you think I'm making it up when I stated that when I returned my Everstart there were several other Everstarts laying around in the Walmart return area? Sorry I didn't snap a picture for ya. I would not lie about that, not even to argue a point.

Tell you what. Wait until it gets really cold and when the return area at Walmart is really busy, like around the holiday season when they don't have time to move the returns into the back room. I'll clue ya, Walmart does not like folks looking at the stuff that was returned. Just ask them if you can walk around and look at the returns in the back room, doubtful they will let you.

And keep in mind those clumsy consumers and employees at Walmart fumbling around the battery display... Stuff that thought into the back of your mind. :idea:

You know, the soccer mom screaming at her husband on the cellphone "Which size is it then H5 or H6? These thing are dang heavy!"
The old lady who attempts to pick one up, drops it and then walks away.
The early 20's hipster employee told to unload the batteries off the pallet and into the display 20 minutes before his shift is up.
There are so many other scenarios that I don't dare mention.

You're talking about battery quality and I'm talking about people quality. None of these folks understand or care of the fragility of car batteries and they abound. They out number me an you by a wide margin.

I will never buy a Walmart battery again.

So you go ahead and scoop up your American made bargain.
Specialization is for Insects
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

Oh, it's a battery discussion - sorry I'm late to the party! :mrgreen:

I have a mixed bag of comments, fully realizing that a single input is just a single data-point and not an overall statement of fact. That disclaimer out of the way...

1) I recently had to replace the Everstart Plus battery (non AGM) in my A4. It had lasted 10.5 years, which I found to be rather impressive. Dean's comments about the higher potential for battery mishandling at Walmart is certainly valid, but that could happen anywhere - you just don't know (short of seeing actual damage to the battery, of course).

2) Not withstanding the potential for long lines at the Walmart customer service counter, I have found warranty coverage to be easiest with an EverStart - no need for a receipt - no need to even be the original purchaser. If the battery fails the load test and is within 36 months of purchase, you get a replacement at no charge. Note, your replacement does NOT get another 36 months of coverage - it's all tied to the initial purchase date which is scanned in from the battery on initial purchase.

3) From what I have read and experienced, all other vendors require a receipt (some can look it up - AutoZone, for example), and the warranty is only extended to the initial purchaser.

4) Whatever you do, don't buy a manufacturer-branded battery unless you're okay with only getting warranty coverage from that dealer AND (get this), you may be required to pay a fee to have them test the battery. Audi's policy on this is absolutely terrible. They want an hour of labor to test the battery, you must have a receipt, and you can only get coverage from an Audi dealer. Did I mention that the "VW" and "Porsche" battery is the same exact part number, as is the one you might get from an authorized Audi/VW parts supplier? Buy from any of those sources and you have no warranty coverage at the Audi dealership.
Brad
andyofcolumbusmerkur
Level 7
Level 7

Post by andyofcolumbusmerkur »

I once had a battery out of a brand new Subaru test bad at Autozone. The car was made that year, so I can't imagine the battery was more than a year old. It was a car inside the dealers indoor showroom and had people opening the door and looking it over quite a bit. I imagine the battery went dead a few times and was only partially charged afterwards, with an extension cord running across the floor while the showroom was closed. The parasitic drain was within spec for the car with proximity door locks. If the car would sit in the driveway 2 or 3 weeks my Mom couldn't start it. Autozone did their time consuming battery test while I waited around. The employee told me it takes awhile because it runs the battery down then charges it back up multiple times which seemed pretty weird to me. I didn't buy a new battery. Soon after the car went to the dealer, got an oil change, and they tested the battery. It came back as fine and not needing a new battery. I imagine they used a small handheld device like those found on amazon for 20 bucks. Finally I got a brand new Subaru battery from the dealer and put that it. Afterwards the car would always start fine even if it sat around over a month. It seems like using a handheld tester to compare different brands is pointless. And one retailer may get batteries from different sources or suppliers. And those sources or suppliers may change owners or countries of origin. It seems like being brand loyal is equally pointless.
The best way to keep your Kia from being stolen is to not have a Kia.
brokencase
Level 7
Level 7

Post by brokencase »

I think a good battery load tester tells the best state of the battery.

The handheld testers that ask for the CCA rating of the battery and then tell you the internal resistance of the battery I think provide a reasonable measure of the battery's condition, certainly better than a DMM However, I have found that you have to make sure the tester clamps have a good bite into the terminals. otherwise the internal resistance reading can be abnormally high.

The other thing is that it if you are testing a battery "fresh off of a charger" then you have to kill the surface charge, Typically by running the car's blower for a few minutes before you throw it on the tester.
Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Post by Ed Lijewski »

Tests comparing Walmart Everstart and Costco Interstate. Video flow is opposite of Todd's Project Farm style, but the objective thoroughness is equal.

https://youtu.be/W7WAD2NMTwQ?si=v2Og1bucra41vc79

YMMV
Descartes: "Cogito Ergo Sum"
Lijewski: "Sum Ergo Drive-O. Mucho!
brokencase
Level 7
Level 7

Post by brokencase »

I'd like to see him test an 8 year old AGM vs. an 8 year old wet cell.
Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Post by Ed Lijewski »

Dean keeps changing the sidelines and goal lines here.

The basic question from the onset here was would the Weize...WEIZE Chinesium...battery last, even for a year or two or three.

Brad's flooded Everstart Premium lasted 10.5 years. No doubt some Everstart AGMs have served for long periods.

Dean can be the Weize AGM test mule here.

YMMV
Last edited by Ed Lijewski on Wed Nov 15, 2023 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
brokencase
Level 7
Level 7

Post by brokencase »

The goal post has not moved. AGM's outperform wet cells in all parameters. Most importantly...longevity and reliability.
I don't have to re-iterate this. It is a known fact and is well documented online...by the manufacture's themselves (as I have provided the in the links I posted previously...which I don't think Ed has read). AGMs are a modernization in the construction of lead cell batteries. It is that plain and simple.

Ed, you have provided no youtube evidence on any LONG TERM comparisons between wet cells and AGM. Why? I'll tell you why. Most youtubers are "click bait", "eyecandy", "bang it out", and "make the hits" revenue generators. They don't care and they don't have the patience to perform the required long term testing that is required to settle this issue.

I think I read that more than 60% of new cars come equipped with AGM. I am a firm believer that IF AGMs existed in 1988-89 then the Scorpio would have been so equipped. Why? because it has a plethora of electronic "bells and whistles". Far more than contemporary vehicles of it's day.

Fortunate for me is I have had some long term experience with AGMs and I am familiar with their performance. Ed will never know.

I think we can safely state that Brad's experience is an outlier. Most folks not going to get 10.5 years out of a Walmart battery...and you know it.

More than happy to be the guinea pig on the Weize AGM. Why? Simply because it is an AGM. "Chinesium" or otherwise.
Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Post by Ed Lijewski »

Life Lesson No. 1: Buy from reputable origin and source.

Interstate, if you don't trust Everstart.

Saving $35‐50 on a yet-to-be-fully-proven AGM manufacturer and supplier isn't worth it compared to e.g. Interstate/Costco and Everstart/Walmart for follow-through on customer dissatisfaction.

YMMV
Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Post by Ed Lijewski »

DPDISXR4Ti wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 8:21 am
I recently had to replace the Everstart Plus battery (non AGM) in my A4.
What battery and from where did you buy it?

(I'm.betting an Everstart from Walmart.)

YMMV
Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Post by Ed Lijewski »

Walmart Today: Two Everstart, two other brands.

20231117_091042_copy_756x636.jpg
20231117_091042_copy_756x636.jpg (131.51 KiB) Viewed 26220 times
Everstart rated a Top Buy ten years in a row:
20231117_091013_copy_676x473.jpg
20231117_091013_copy_676x473.jpg (95.27 KiB) Viewed 26220 times
YMMV
brokencase
Level 7
Level 7

Post by brokencase »

There you go, The one on the right. 6/21. I guess it lasted just a little over two years. Typical.
Attachments
everstart_6_21.jpg
everstart_6_21.jpg (8.17 KiB) Viewed 26216 times
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

Ed Lijewski wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 8:16 pm What battery and from where did you buy it?
$25 used battery pile at EZ Pull & Save. I think it's a Die Hard Gold. It had a 7/21 date on it and tested at 12.x volts, so I nabbed it. I would have first grabbed an AGM for the same $25 if available, second an EverStart Max, this was "door 3".
Brad
Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Post by Ed Lijewski »

brokencase wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 1:19 pm There you go, The one on the right. 6/21. I guess it lasted just a little over two years. Typical.
Seems you don't know that there are One Year and Two Year warranty Everstart batteries stocked on the Walmart racks along with high end flooded and AGM units

YMMV
brokencase
Level 7
Level 7

Post by brokencase »

Ed Lijewski wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 2:15 pm
brokencase wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 1:19 pm There you go, The one on the right. 6/21. I guess it lasted just a little over two years. Typical.
Seems you don't know that there are One Year and Two Year warranty Everstart batteries stocked on the Walmart racks along with high end flooded and AGM units

YMMV
Ed, the point that matters is that the battery only lasted two years. I'll testify that there are Everstarts that don't even make it to one year.

You seem to forget you are talking to a guy who bought an Everstart, had it fail, replaced under warranty and then the second one failed.
So yeah, fully aware of the warranties.

I got a 36 month warranty on my "Chinesium" Weize battery. Being that it is AGM, I am fully confident I will get at least six years out of it and perhaps even more.

Given that most product out of Walmart is "Chinesium" at this point anyway. It would not surprise me a bit if Walmart starts sourcing Weize batteries and re-labels them as "Everstart" given that their price point for AGM is well below Walmart's wet cell battery prices.