Battery group size

Scorpio / Scorpio Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Merkur Club web site
brokencase
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Battery group size

Post by brokencase »

I'm sorry Ed, but you just don't get it.

The Project Farm guy has performed no long term testing in that video. I'd like to see the same tests after the batteries have been in a vehicle for three years. Maybe he'll do that at some point.

To me the most important parameter is the internal resistance of the battery. The AGMs excelled with this parameter. The other point worth noting and he demonstrated was that the AGMs charge faster.

The only takeaway that you got from that video was that the brand new EverStart performed better at -20 degrees, and therefore you think you are getting a good bargain.

And he states quite properly at 11:40 in the video regarding AGMs "handle vibration better, require no maintenance and handle deep discharging better"

What he did not say (and this is important) is that "an AGM battery can start your engine more than 60,000 times. That’s more than three times the starts you’ll get out of a standard battery."

In other words, an AGM battery will last longer.

Ed READ the facts!...from a company that has been making conventional batteries for a long time:
https://www.interstatebatteries.com/blo ... e-big-deal

Religion? Hype? You are a Luddite stuck in the Dark Ages. I should probably write all this down with my feather pen on parchment and send it to you via Pony Express!
Specialization is for Insects
brokencase
Level 7
Level 7

Post by brokencase »

One more thing Ed, and you're not going to like it because it means more cash outlay.. But you need to buy a new charger for AGM batteries.

In fact, I don't think even your battery tenders will work with AGM. That's gonna hurt..

Ahh yes...the relentless march of technology...leaving the Luddites far behind. But we'll wave to them as we ride that train into the future.

Fare thee well oh Luddites, Replenish thy carbon cell flashlights lest ye get lost in the darkness! Fare thee well Luddites..
Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Post by Ed Lijewski »

Todd of Project Farm near the end of the tests "I really thought the AGM batteries (Optima et al) would perform better."

It's of minimal relevance that an AGM charges maybe 30-40% faster. Unless the lights were left on in an Optima batteried car as that battery would need recharging.

Optima AGM performed poorly on the 30 minute lamp On draining ~ 40/45 amps test @ 12.2v after test end. (PF: "definitely needs recharge").

Everstart performed very well after 30 minutes drain test @ 12 6v: "PF: at 12.6 and above a battery is considered fully charged".

Everstart performed very well on CCA test, better than the Optima AGM.

PF: "I really thought the AGM batteries would perform better in CCAs." Yes, IR for the Optima was best but the Everstart IR was good.

Brokencase: "...AGMs "handle vibration better, require no maintenance and handle deep discharging better." Valid comments. For use in Scorpios, vibration is a non-issue; all batteries require cleaning tightening of battery connections.
Re deep discharging, we here aren't running bass boat outboards.

I'll stick with Everstart (or Interstate if I were a Costco member). Great bang for less buck FTW👌👍.

YMMV
Last edited by Ed Lijewski on Sun Oct 29, 2023 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Descartes: "Cogito Ergo Sum"
Lijewski: "Sum Ergo Drive-O. Mucho!
brokencase
Level 7
Level 7

Post by brokencase »

As I stated Ed, No life testing in that video. I don't even think the load testing he performed was very good. All the results invert to AGMs favor through the passage of time.

You rely on one youtube video as evidence yet you ignore the multitude of authoritative sources elsewhere that conclusively state the superiority of AGM over conventional batteries.

As far as a bargain pricing goes. During the sale, I paid $126 for a Weize H7 AGM battery. That is less than the price for a conventional battery from Walmart ($159). I could have purchased the Group 47 AGM for less than $100. I didn't even have to waste time or gas to drive to Walmart to get my battery. It was delivered!

Granted, I have to get rid of the old battery, but I have a shop two blocks away from me that will take it.
Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Post by Ed Lijewski »

Yes, I point to a single YouTube video by a source of Gold Standard transparent, objective and trustworthy testing and reporting.

Brokencase says: "I don't even think the load testing he performed was very good." Tell P.F. that in Comments on the video...if/If you have a specific superior manner for amperage drain testing, to see what he replies.

Brokencase cites: "the multitude of authoritative sources elsewhere that conclusively state the superiority of AGM over conventional batteries".

P.F. bought into that (hype) and so expected AGM batteries to perform better, but they didn't.

Agree the price you paid was attractive. I might have bit at that if I were battery shopping.
Except...my calculus would have heavily weighted how any warranty/exchange issue(s) would be handled and what such actions would oblige me to pay, as well concerns shipping services have re any battery.

I looked in your link to Weize and didn't see info re returns (or missed it).

Everstart still FTW!

YMMV
Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Post by Ed Lijewski »

brokencase wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 1:35 am One more thing Ed, and you're not going to like it because it means more cash outlay.. But you need to buy a new charger for AGM batteries.

In fact, I don't think even your battery tenders will work with AGM. That's gonna hurt..
Gawd I love it when you go into "taunt' mode...so I can slap it out of your bean 🤓. As you said, "That's gonna hurt."😉

Of my four chargers three work with AGM batteries. One is made by Schumacher:
20231029_165448_copy_1041x697.jpg
20231029_165448_copy_1041x697.jpg (198.88 KiB) Viewed 13945 times
Two are EVERSTART:
EVERSTART brand FTW!

YMMV
Attachments
20231029_165651_copy_1209x598.jpg
20231029_165651_copy_1209x598.jpg (205.23 KiB) Viewed 13945 times
20231029_165630_copy_986x1038.jpg
20231029_165630_copy_986x1038.jpg (202.68 KiB) Viewed 13945 times
brokencase
Level 7
Level 7

Post by brokencase »

Wonderful. Your battery tenders are all ready for AGM batteries.

But are you?
Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Post by Ed Lijewski »

In Project Farm I trust.
"I really expected the AGM batteries to perform better."

^^ Paste on your bathroom mirror.

YMMV
brokencase
Level 7
Level 7

Post by brokencase »

Maybe the words of you favorite battery manufacturer will sink into your head..

https://www.johnsoncontrols.com/media-c ... th-america

"AGM batteries manufactured by Johnson Controls are engineered for ever-increasing vehicle demands, including:

Superior starting power even at low states of charge
Reliability in harsh weather and extreme conditions
Excellent durability in high-load applications"

https://www.johnsoncontrols.com/media-c ... on-demands

The problem, Ed, is you have no personal long term experience with AGM batteries. Neither does the Project Farm guy...at least not yet.
But I do.

It really doesn't matter, Over time they will just stop making wet cell batteries. If they do, they will cost more due to low demand.
A major reason for this (outside of OEM vehicle requirements) is that shipping AGM batteries is easier and safer.
Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Post by Ed Lijewski »

Weize batteries are made in China.

You have been silent on Weize warranty and actual purchasers experiences.

Walmart warranty process is transparent and efficient from experience.

Weize warranty process is a hassle.

[Note: uploading below from my phone adds a duplicate of one screenshot, and wasn't able to add the fourth screenshot to this post so posted it separately.]
Screenshot_20231031-152347_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20231031-152347_Chrome.jpg (644.83 KiB) Viewed 13897 times
Screenshot_20231031-152510_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20231031-152510_Chrome.jpg (514.61 KiB) Viewed 13897 times
Screenshot_20231031-152510_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20231031-152510_Chrome.jpg (514.61 KiB) Viewed 13897 times
Attachments
Screenshot_20231031-152151_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20231031-152151_Chrome.jpg (404.32 KiB) Viewed 13897 times
Last edited by Ed Lijewski on Tue Oct 31, 2023 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Post by Ed Lijewski »

Screenshot_20231031-152254_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20231031-152254_Chrome.jpg (170.92 KiB) Viewed 13896 times
brokencase
Level 7
Level 7

Post by brokencase »

Wait a sec, Ed...

You cherry picked a few negative reviews. Please don't cherry pick to make your argument. It is insincere.
What about all the positive reviews? Remember there is a 4.6 out of 5 overall review rating for Weize on Amazon

And for god sakes, can you resize your cell phone image capture posts? They are dang irritatingly large.
Just post a link to them.

Quite a few negative reviews on EverStarts here, similar to my experiences:

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threa ... nt.367130/

And for what it's worth. my Weize came delivered at 12.7 volts and 2.9 milliohm internal resistance. The best I have measured on any car battery.

But the point has been made. Ed has no experience with AGM batteries, therefore all his information is second hand and what he chooses to pick off the web.
Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Post by Ed Lijewski »

The Chinesium Weize warranty process is flaky. Period.

You wrote: "You cherry picked a few negative reviews.What about all the positive reviews? Remember there is a 4.6 out of 5 overall review rating on Amazon."

Damn, you're dense. From the beginning of this thread I expressed INTEREST without prejudice in knowing about purchasers' experiences re warranty issue coverage You avoided addressing that. The screenshots above directly speak to it.

And do you really think informed consumers are so easily swayed in their search for warranty coverage experiences just by positive reviews which don't speak to warranty experiences?

Re your eyeballs irritation; maybe use sunglasses?

YMMV
brokencase
Level 7
Level 7

Post by brokencase »

I read...
"however the manufacturer reached out and fully refunded me the cost of the battery. They are prompt in their response time to the customers"

Works for me.

Those negative reviews appear to be "out of the box" failures. Possibly damage in shipment or poor handling by the customer themselves. Especially the guy who got all sorts of error codes as soon as he installed the battery.

And, Oh yeah, its super convenient having the EverStart warranty where you buy the battery, it fails under a year and then you go get a replacement and it fails a year later.

But granted Ed, I can't attest to the long term on the Weize AGM. I can only attest to longevity of AGM's in general for which I have experience with and you obviously do not. I provided ample evidence from noted battery manufacturers that you yourself trust, that provide technical details why AGMs are far superior to conventional batteries.

Where we widely differ is on our experience with EverStarts. I will never buy one again. But to this I will add...It may not be the EverStart batteries themselves that is the problem, but the poor handling they incur in the Walmart retail environment. i.e., clumsy Walmart staff tossing them into the display. Clumsy consumers pulling a battery out of the display, realizing they got the wrong one, dropping it on the floor, returning back into the display etc.. I think this is a reality one must consider.

My Weize battery came well packed, 2 inches of foam all around, and it tested wonderfully out of the box.

None the less, if I experience a premature failure of the Wieze battery (36 months) I will post on the forum describing the outcome.
But I expect at least six years out of this battery, perhaps more.
Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Post by Ed Lijewski »

Walmart today: one replaced battery, non-Everstart
20231101_141258_copy_756x756.jpg
20231101_141258_copy_756x756.jpg (157.28 KiB) Viewed 13844 times
YMMV