T-5 Conversion Parts List & Source

Merkur Scorpio / XR4Ti Technical Library - Check here for answers to common questions, problems and modifications.

Moderator: John Brennan

Merkur Club web site
thesameguy
Level 7
Level 7

T-5 Conversion Parts List & Source

Post by thesameguy »

This may exist somewhere, but I haven't found it. I'm just trying to compile a concise list of the actual parts needed/advised for a T5 conversion, and note sources for them. I'd appreciate any contributions to this post - I know I've missed stuff.

I will refine this post after feedback, and hopefully add contact information - which IMHO is key. Hunting these things down on the net is a PITA.

Bell Housing: Any T5 bellhousing from any cable clutch 2.3l car - Mustangs, Capris, etc.

Transmission: Any T5 transmission - but 2.3l Fords already have the proper input spline size. Other T5s will require "adjusting." Output splines are all identical amongst T5s

Flywheel & Clutch: Any 2.3 + T-5 equipped Ford

Clutch pedal: Manual XR4Ti clutch & brake pedal assembly, making note of "early" vs. "late" tunnel widths

Clutch quadrant: Manual XR4Ti or David Godfrey's aluminum one

Clutch cable: Manual XR4Ti or Mustang. The XR4Ti cable requires an adapter (below) to connect to the T5; the Mustang cable requires "modification" to the included nylon sleeve to pass through the XR4Ti's firewall.

Clutch cable dogbone adapter: Richard Thompson (necessary in order to use the XR4Ti clutch cable with a T-5 transmission)

Driveshaft: Any T-5 Mustang/Capri with a driveshaft adapter, or the factory XR4Ti 2-piece driveshaft that's been shortened and "mated" with the T5 input side

Driveshaft adapter: 460 Machine Shop or Galaxie1 - necessary if using the 1-piece Mustang driveshaft

Transmission crossmember: Galaxie1's part, or who the heck is rwolfe on
ebay?

Transmission mount: Standard T5 mount with aforementioned transmission crossmember.

Speedo cable: An automatic XR4Ti - early XR4Tis use a one piece speedo cable, while later ones use a 2-piece. If you see a "coupler" at the false bulkhead, you've got a later car. You must use the appropriate cable for your car. You will also need to cut the nub off the end of the gear to allow it to seat in the T5.

Speed Driven Gear: For the T5 transmission - a 6-tooth is preferred. A 7-tooth will only work out if you've got a 3.36 rear-end.

Does this all sound right? Can anyone provide contact info (preferably websites AND email) for:

o David Godfrey

DGodfrey@DRS-TEM.com

o rwolfe
o Galaxie1
o 460 Machine Shop

Sandra K. Wallace
V.P. Operations
460 Machine Company
3830-A-Corporate Road
Petersburg, VA. 23805
(804) 861-8787
(804) 861-8766

Or see their web site http://www.460machine.com

o Richard Thompson

rt@merkurxr4ti.com
http://www.merkurxr4ti.com

conversion write up for swap to C3 to T5 at MerkurTech.com:

http://www.merkurtech.com/merkurtech/te ... tem038.php

Thanks!
Last edited by thesameguy on Fri Jun 09, 2006 1:46 pm, edited 6 times in total.
MarkM
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MarkM »

Don Haulsee doesn't sell his adapter. He sold the manufacturing rights to it to 460 Machine a few years back.

Contact
Sandra K. Wallace
V.P. Operations
460 Machine Company
3830-A-Corporate Road
Petersburg, VA. 23805
(804) 861-8787
(804) 861-8766

Or see their web site http://www.460machine.com
Mark
Ray
Level 7
Level 7

Re: T-5 Conversion Parts List & Source

Post by Ray »

thesameguy wrote:Speedo cable: Any automatic XR4Ti, plus the proper T5 speedo gear
does this mean a t9 to a t5 conversion requires the automatic speedometer cable with the t5 gear?
-Ray
1985 Ford F150 - Tow Missile
1985 Merkur XR4Ti -#141 CP "Miss Daisy"
2005 Subaru LGT
http://www.cartct.com
tvissoc
Level 4
Level 4

Re: T-5 Conversion Parts List & Source

Post by tvissoc »

demonfire wrote:
thesameguy wrote:Speedo cable: Any automatic XR4Ti, plus the proper T5 speedo gear
does this mean a t9 to a t5 conversion requires the automatic speedometer cable with the t5 gear?
You can use the auto cable as is. You just have to cut the nub off the end of the gear, or it won't seat all the way in.
Tony Vissoc
Nothing to see here. Move along.
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

As long as we're talking speedo cables, bear in mind that several different types were used on the XR, depending on the model year and whether cruise control was present. If you're doing an automatic to T5 conversion, you really don't need to be too concerned - you just re-use whatever you've got and swap in the appropriate speedo driven gear onto the end of the cable. If you're doing a T9 to T5 conversion, you need to figure out what type of speed sensor you have, and/or if you want to keep it at all.

Bear in mind too, you need to know what speedo drive gear you have in the T5 to determine which driven gear you'll need. A 6-tooth is preferred. A 7-tooth will only work out if you've got a 3.36 rear-end.
Brad
thesameguy
Level 7
Level 7

Post by thesameguy »

DPDISXR4Ti wrote:As long as we're talking speedo cables, bear in mind that several different types were used on the XR, depending on the model year and whether cruise control was present. If you're doing an automatic to T5 conversion, you really don't need to be too concerned - you just re-use whatever you've got and swap in the appropriate speedo driven gear onto the end of the cable. If you're doing a T9 to T5 conversion, you need to figure out what type of speed sensor you have, and/or if you want to keep it at all.
Can you briefly expand on the cruise control scenario? I'm aware of the two major speedo cables (I added that bit) but I have no info on cruise control... this is I think the first I've heard of it! :)
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

thesameguy wrote:Can you briefly expand on the cruise control scenario? I'm aware of the two major speedo cables (I added that bit) but I have no info on cruise control... this is I think the first I've heard of it! :)
Two different speed sensors were used. Cars built through ~3/88 had the speed sensor attached to the back of the cluster and I believe they use the same cable as the non cruise-control cars. Cars built after 3/88 use a speed sensor mounted on the false firewall, which connects via 5/8" threaded fittings on both sides. As a result there's a ~1 foot long cable that goes between the speed sensor and the cluster. I greatly prefer this setup (even though I've removed CC), as it makes cluster removal a snap (just unscrew the fitting at the false firewall).

Hope that makes sense.
Brad
thesameguy
Level 7
Level 7

Post by thesameguy »

DPDISXR4Ti wrote:Hope that makes sense.
Aye... it makes sense. But, does this not mean that if you're converting a post 3/88 car from a T9 to a T5, you just need the speedo cable from an automatic post 3/88 car?
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

thesameguy wrote:
DPDISXR4Ti wrote:Hope that makes sense.
Aye... it makes sense. But, does this not mean that if you're converting a post 3/88 car from a T9 to a T5, you just need the speedo cable from an automatic post 3/88 car?
Pretty much correct. I guess I'd call it cables, given that most (all?) of the late cars had cruise control. But the short cable from the cluster to speed sensor would be the same regardless of tranny type, so in that sense, yes, you'd just need the C3 to speedo sensor cable.

It's not as confusing as it sounds, once you see it all in front of you. I actually had to somewhat fabricate my own cable, since the metal end that goes in the C3 is often seized in place and the cable sheathing simply pull away. I salvaged a "new" fitting end from a '80 Mustang and attached that using some RTV and hose clamp.
Brad
thesameguy
Level 7
Level 7

Post by thesameguy »

DPDISXR4Ti wrote:It's not as confusing as it sounds, once you see it all in front of you. I actually had to somewhat fabricate my own cable, since the metal end that goes in the C3 is often seized in place and the cable sheathing simply pull away. I salvaged a "new" fitting end from a '80 Mustang and attached that using some RTV and hose clamp.
No, I understand perfectly. I took apart an '89 XR4Ti and saw first hand what you're referring to. It's just when I read your original post I thought I'd missed something, and began concocting an image in my head that was way more complex than the reality. :) I've seen some pretty messed up cruise control systems in the past, and started envisioning the XR4Ti setup was like that. :D
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

My project car had an after-market, "fits-all" cruise control system on it when I acquired it. What a cobled-together hack-job that was, in every imaginable way! :x It's all ripped out now, but evidence of the carnage remains. I'll probably drop a fresh harness in at some point.
Brad
merkurmaniac
Level 5
Level 5

Post by merkurmaniac »

My project car had an after-market, "fits-all" cruise control system on it when I acquired it. What a cobled-together hack-job that was
When you say "cobbled together hack-job", is that the wiring, or the project car ?

heh heh.....
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

merkurmaniac wrote:When you say "cobbled together hack-job", is that the wiring, or the project car ?
heh heh.....
That should be obvious... BOTH!!!
Brad
thesameguy
Level 7
Level 7

Post by thesameguy »

Alright, so everything else on the list looks good, then?

Does anyone have any contact information for the folks listed at the bottom of the post? I know I have David Godfrey's email, but not Galaxie1 or that rwolfe person... anyone have any input?
merkurmaniac
Level 5
Level 5

Post by merkurmaniac »

Clutch cable dogbone adapter: David Godfrey (necessary in order to use the XR4Ti clutch cable with a T-5 transmission)
BTW, this might be me. if so, I am honored to be confused with David Godfrey, but unfortunately, I am out of those clutch cable adapters that I had made up. I might have a crack at another batch, but it won't be in the next month or so.

Richard