Scorpio V2.0 has arrived : )

Scorpio / Scorpio Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Merkur Club web site
Kimmo

Post by Kimmo »

Nice project you got there 8)

I have also a Scorpio. Last summer changed the 2L 8v dohc to 2.9i v6 with manual transmission.

Was going to ask if there are any shops in america that sell decent priced headers to 2.9i 12v motors? There isnt any new or used sold in finland or europe for that matter :lol:

Another thing, does someone make those solid beam "bushings". I think me and my friend would buy few of them :)
Scorpio sedan 2.0i@2.9i, CL@GL ym.90

Sierra r.SS project
Chuck W
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Chuck W »

I used the mc2racing rear beam mounts for my car and built my own solid diff mount.
"Strange women, lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power is derived from a mandate from the masses, not from some farsical aquatic ceremony."
Chuck W
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Chuck W »

Well I got started on the fender replacement today

This is what it looked like after I got the bumper cover out of the way

This is the crease that was on the inner fender

Here is the fender out of the way

Finally, this is the front fender mount that was a little tweaked in the bump

Really once I pounded that crease out and pulled/prodded the "triangle" back in place, I don't see any other damage to the substructure.

I spent a couple hours working on the "new" fender. I needed to get some duct and double-sided tape residue off of it and deal with a couple rust areas. I need to also do a little "mending" of a couple spots as the front mounting bit was cut off of it and a small section of the "slam" area on top was rusted out, so I took the pieces I needed from the old fender and worked on getting them ready to patch up the new one. I also drilled the holes for the euro side markers as well.

I'll have some time on Sun to work on the new fender and to deal with treating a few areas on the car before I get things put back together.
Last edited by Chuck W on Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Strange women, lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power is derived from a mandate from the masses, not from some farsical aquatic ceremony."
Chuck W
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Chuck W »

OK, now that the board is behaving again, I can post up the little update.

I got a little more done Sunday. I spent some time earlier taking care of cleaning up spots on the chassis and then this evening I got into working on the patch pieces for the new fender.

The sheet metal is some thin stuff. I'm glad I only have these two spots to do. Hopefully this week I'll have time to fit that slam panel piece in place and get it cleaned up and ready to install. I'm looking for a paint that's a close enough match to cover up the spots I fix for the short term. Luckily they're in either covered or not easily seen locations, so it won't be that critical.

I've also got the side indicators installed and just need to wire up the driver side one. I took care of the pass side one and tested it and we have light.
Last edited by Chuck W on Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

I see the Scorpio has just about the same number of spot-welds as the XR in that area. :beats head
Brad
Gert B. Frobe

Post by Gert B. Frobe »

Are the C4 rotors and calipers year specific?
Zach

Saving money for "Project Decimator"

Chuck W
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Chuck W »

Gert B. Frobe wrote:Are the C4 rotors and calipers year specific?
Whatever the C4 Vette platform is. I just used an '89 when looking for parts.
Gert B. Frobe

Post by Gert B. Frobe »

Chuck W wrote:
Ok, and the rear C4 calipers fit on the front brakes of the Scorp?

Oh, BTW, nice looking build!
Zach

Saving money for "Project Decimator"

Chuck W
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Chuck W »

Gert B. Frobe wrote:
Chuck W wrote:
Ok, and the rear C4 calipers fit on the front brakes of the Scorp?
No, you didn't read that right. Front calipers on the front, rear calipers on the rear. Both require adapter brackets.

On the 12" rotors, they are identical front to rear EXCEPT that the rears have 6mm less offset. I used rears on the rear and fronts on the front, but ideally the rears would work on all 4 corners (the fronts put the rotor a little close to the outer tie rod. Ideally you should also use hubcentric rings as well.
Chuck W
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Chuck W »

Well I got some time over the weekend to finish the patch on the fender and Sun evening I decided to get it hung in place.

It's not a perfect fender, but neither is the rest of the car at this point ;)

I still need to go back and grind the welds down and shoot some paint over the spots.

Hopefully I'll have some time this weekend to finish that and get the front bumper rehung on it. I imagine though I'll only have time to get the welds cleaned and the lights back in.
Last edited by Chuck W on Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chuck W
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Chuck W »

OK, well the fender is back on and I got the bumper cover from the old car hung last night.

I still need to grind the welds down on the inside of the engine bay, but I took care of the rest before I put it all back together.

Since I was able to find a "close" approximation for the paint, I went ahead and painted the euro grille and headlamp trim body color while I had it apart.

Last edited by Chuck W on Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
scorpioaddict
Level 5
Level 5

Post by scorpioaddict »

Nice!

Did you anodize or whatever the door window trim?

Is that a Chubbe door lock I see? :)
Chuck W
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Chuck W »

scorpioaddict wrote:Nice!

Did you anodize or whatever the door window trim?

Is that a Chubbe door lock I see? :)
I painted it a couple years ago. Need to redo it again.

Yeah, it has the "older" keys. It's an 87MY car.
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

Back on the road again - take that ya damn gas station! :twisted:
Brad
Chuck W
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Chuck W »

Well I'd had enough of this...

So now I have this...

New headliner and no more grey upper bits.

Used the SEM interior paint/dye on the interior bits (even on the sun shade) and it works well if you follow the directions (and use the prep, etc). Worked well on the grab handles, even the trim around the sunroof.

The only PITA was that evidently I have a rusted screw for the sunroof glass, so I wasn't able to pop it out the top and pull the screen...so I had to man-handle the sunscreen out from below. Took a bit of work to get it back in.
Last edited by Chuck W on Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.